Jan 9, 2011

Burberry, Here I Come

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 200mm, f/2.8, 1/125s, ISO 800, SB-600  through zumbrella.
I've visited a few different countries this last year, and I make it a point to get out and make pictures in every city I visit. This is usually a given, and I've only had trouble one time (but I think I should get credit for Edmonton, anyway, because when it's minus forty degrees outside my batteries won't even work, let alone my fingers on the camera controls!).

Well, I usually visit major cities in these other countries, and I have noticed one thing in common: Burberry. Apparently it's a fashion brand (could I have a few more buttons on my trenchcoat, please?). However, I guess Logan, Utah doesn't count as a major city because I don't see their ads on bus stops and billboards like I do elsewhere in the world (well, Ryadh is another exception). It seems that everywhere I go the streets are filled with Burberry ads: lots of unhappy looking people in chic clothing doing nothing. Looks like fun.

These ads are generally big, but do not show the entire person, just a portion of the torso and head. They are also usually lit rather harshly and often with an on axis light source--which I usually abhor.

But then I got thinking...I bet their photogs make bank! Maybe I could get on as a contractor and license my harshly lit images to them for their fashion catalogues and advertisements!

But that would mean that I would have to make harshly lit images of unhappy people in starchy clothes. I don't think I have it me. Which is too bad, really, because I think I've got a model capable of performing such feats.

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @155mm, f/2.8, 1/100s, ISO 800, SB-600 through zumbrella.
See, K is an artist and actor. He's got the vision and control required to be a super model, I think. The concentration...

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 135mm, f/2.8, 1/125s, ISO 800, SB-600 through zumbrella.
Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 102mm, f/2.8, 1/100s, ISO 800.

Then again, maybe he's not cut out for it, after all. Just can't keep a sad face for that long.

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 155mm, f/2.8, 1/160s, ISO 800, SB-600 through zumbrella.
Seriously, though, K is a talented fellow in many areas. He's a graphic design artist, a sculptor, and an actor and model. He's always a blast to work with (if you can keep up with his wit and movie quotes), and he makes a good picture, even when it's freezin' cold outside.

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 155mm, f/2.8, 1/160s, ISO 800, SB-600 through zumbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment