Jan 3, 2013

Open Lab

For the last three years, my Wednesday nights have been booked. That's the night we hold Open Lab at my studio for the Cache Valley Photographers SMUG.

See, I have a degree in Geology, and the best learning in my university experience happened during open lab hours when my classmates and I could go into the lab and handle the rocks and scratch them and lick them and drop acid (on the rocks!). We'd spend hours there testing each other, and studying the characteristics of minerals and fossils. It was wonderful. When there was a test, those of us who came to help each other always did well. The most important thing I learned in college was that collaborating with my peers always leads to the best result. Always. 

That's why I not only don't mind sharing everything I think I know with other photographers, I actually seek opportunities to do it. When I share I reconfirm my own knowledge and learn different ideas from feedback. It's just terrific. It's just the best way to learn.

So each Wednesday photogs of all levels and bents come over and hang out and talk photography and practice different techniques or handle different gear or get assistance with photoshop skills or just sit and absorb. It's always an educational time, and I always learn loads.

And last night was no different. I've been wanting to practice a with my Beauty Dish a bit, and we took turns last night being lit. I appreciate B. and J. letting me make a picture with them. I think these are my favorite portraits of the year! ;)


Nikon D800, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII lens @ 185mm, f/4, 1/160s, ISO 200.
Nikon D800, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII lens @ 112mm, f/5.6, 1/160s, ISO 200.

5 comments:

  1. EVERY Wednesday? I would love to come. Is there a fee? What time? Do you have to sign up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are your only portraits of the year so far! They are very nice though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen, it's pretty much every Wednesday--except when it's the Meet and Critique. Just sign up for the club at www.meetup.com/CVPhotographers to keep updated when we have activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first portrait a lot! Sorry I couldn't make it snowshoeing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We missed you, Mark! Give me a call if you're still in town.

    ReplyDelete