Oct 15, 2010

Balloonhouette

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 82mm, f/4.0, 1/8000s, ISO 640.

The thing is, when you make a picture of a dark scene, you have to underexpose what your camera says should be the right exposure. This was actually very bright, with the rising sun shining through the balloon's silk. However, the camera's light meter calculated a considerably brighter exposure, which would have left us viewing washed out colors and a grey silhouette. By using the exposure compensation button on my camera (looks like a "+/-" symbol--even my cell phone has this!) I overode what the camera's meter calculated and got just the exposure I was looking for: the stretched silhouette of the kid walking by.

I can just imagine the wonder on this kid's face as he watches this enormous balloon come to life. It sure is fun to watch them change from a roll the size of two big suitcases into a flying flower.

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 75mm, f/8.0, 1/1250s, ISO 640.


3 comments:

  1. I love this!

    Maybe your meant 'overrode'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, to that. Really great shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! And I fixed that flub--thanks!

    ReplyDelete