Oct 11, 2010

Street Sweeping

In China, if you're hanging out with a local photog, and he asks if you want to go street sweeping, don't grab a broom (which would be really weird, since the government pays a ton of ladies to sweep the nations streets by hand every day--really: I've only ever seen women doing this job. Sure beats the dole.). grab your camera, instead and hit the streets. Street photography is usually done in cities, and is usually candid. It's one of my favorite things to do on trips. I try to find things that show the culture I'm visiting and that would be interesting to people at home. I love that the Chinese call it "street sweeping".

This is one I made in Korea, recently. I like this capture of two guys chatting on the job site. I also like the reflective bands all the construction workers wear to keep their cuffs out of the way.

Nikon D700, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens @ 270mm, f/8.0, 1/1250s, ISO 400.

My favorite from my trip, I think, I made this one early morning as the whole city was walking to work. I sat across the street in front of this wall, waiting for someone to walk under those cool shadows.

Nikon D700, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens @ 165mm, f/8.0, 1/400s, ISO 400.

Tonight, my class and I walked around Logan a little. It's tough, however, to be candid when there are 14 photographers walking down the street with cameras on their necks. So, instead we were direct and asked people to take a moment and let us practice our craft on their visage. Haven't been turned down, yet!








Canon 7D, 50mm f/1.8 lens, ISO 400.

No comments:

Post a Comment