Jun 21, 2011

Don't Sweat It

It happens pretty frequently: someone comes for a photography appointment and is...a little concerned. I assure them this is the right place, but that may make matters worse. See, maybe you haven't heard, but some folks are nervous about being photographed!

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 200mm, f/3.2, 1/200s, ISO 200.
My friend K., here, is not actually one of those people. He is quite comfortable in front of as well as behind the camera. He and I started photographing together about two years ago, and I have just been so fortunate to know and work with this terrific fellow.  I honestly don't know anyone I'd rather be like when (if) I grow up.

Nevertheless, even the most indefatigable photographers must be prepared to assuage concerns of all kinds, even for those who have an inside knowledge of the profession--actually, especially for those who are themselves photographers. For instance, K. requested we shoot his good side. 

I can tell you: K. only has a good side. Still, I was careful to address this concern respectfully. So many people have a feeling that they don't look good, or that they have too many wrinkles, or that they squint, or that they have six chins, or that they just don't take good pictures. Well, in order for me to take good pictures, I have to find some way to help people feel comfortable in front of my lens.

I frequently resort to self deprecating humor, or even downright silliness (best used on three year olds...and 53 year olds). We laugh a little, I show them how good they look, and then we keep going, changing moods, and lights as we groove through this creative process together.

So far so good. No one has taken me up on my money back guantee, yet! After addressing his concerns, even K. ended up pleased.

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 200mm, f/3.2, 1/200s, ISO 200.

1 comment:

  1. Levi, your talent continues to stun me, and your whit...well, I'm grateful for your blog so that I can "hear" it again on a daily basis!!

    ReplyDelete