Jan 26, 2012

Poi

I met T. one evening last summer when I was walking around the USU campus with one of my classes. He and some friends were walking their fixies and he had some funky Ray Ban's on, so I asked him to let us make some pictures with them. They were more than happy to oblige, and we spent half an hour making pictures together. What a blast.

Fast forward to the New Year. T. messages me about some LED lights he got for Christmas and says he wants to make some pictures. In my mind, he got Christmas lights, and I'm thinking we'll tie him and 'fro up and do something fun all wrapped up in lights.

The truth was even better. He practices Poi, which is a dance form from New Zealand--you know, flaming sticks spinning around? 21st Century fire codes translate this to LED  lights that can be programmed to virtually any color tethered to ropes. T. came over to the Mansion during open lab night for the club and we had a blast making pictures, and everyone got some good ones. Here's my sampling, and look out for more to come, cause T. is coming back, soon, to play again. 

I love my job.

Nikon D7000, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens @ 62mm, f/8, 1/6s, ISO 400.
I hope to see you at our imaging conference this Saturday! Follow this link for all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment