Jun 10, 2010

Just Flew in from Costa Rica...

...and boy are my arms tired!

So, there I was hanging out in the upper canopy of the rainforest, waiting for the drizzle to let up before returning to the research station, when I looked up and made this image. Okay, I was on the Tabernacle grounds, and it was about to rain, and we were heading back to The Studio after class. I looked up and loved the look--it's so green and graphic. The horse chestnut's leaves grow in these specific groupings of seven every time. It's a constant repetitive pattern throughout the entire depth of the photo, and I think it's beautiful.

The trick here is framing the image without any significant patches of sky. The sky is too bright and too white to have any detail in it. I think that the overcast sky is also essential, otherwise there would be too much contrast between leaves that had direct light shining on them and those that were shaded by other leaves. Just keep your eye in the viewfinder and walk around with your head back looking straight up until you find the right spot. This is best done in the center of a park, not the edge of a road...

Canon 1Ds MkII, 50mm lens, f/2.5, 1/400s, ISO 640. Yep, it's a Canon. Thanks to Lightroom3's noise control, the image is salvageable...Ha!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. I like the translucence of the leaves and the sharpness you achieved. Good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally not in Costa Rica because I KNOW you wouldn't go without me. Love the shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great depth and study in texture.

    ReplyDelete