Nov 7, 2010

Self Portraits

This is my wife. We headed out to take advantage of the last of the good weather this Autumn. It's rumored to begin snowing this week. So, we boogied up to one of my favorite spots for family pictures with tripod in tow.

Apparently, we weren't the only ones thinking that it was the last chance for Fall--we practically had to wait in line behind all the other photographers just to get in the parking lot at USU. However, no one else was carrying a tripod, and there's a good reason they always suggest that you buy the biggest tripod you can carry. Yep, one look at me bumbling along with my tripod, twisting and turning to look at leaves on trees, swingin that thing willy nilly, and everyone gave me a wide berth--after I accidentally swung 'round to look at Old Main and sent one smallish photog careering down the hill, everyone else got out of the way. (I apologized and offered to send pictures of him catching air before hitting the maple trees...)


Anyway, The great thing about this spot is that at any time of day, and at any time of year it has the same light! Sometimes it's a little brighter, sometimes it's a little bluer, but you walk up, set the camera to f/5.6, zoom in to at least 100mm and you've got yourself a nice picture. There's a background, but it's just back there; the focus is clearly the people. Even guys in goofy hats can't ruin this location.

Nikon D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens @ 150mm, f/5.6, 1/80s, ISO 500.

Click through and you'll understand why J. insisted on the hat; not that I would argue...



It's shorn, now, but Halloween was pretty fun. I've not had such a hairstyle before, and this was very enjoyable. I might just grow it out to do this specifically...






2 comments:

  1. You guys look great. And, J, yeah, good call on the hat for the couples picture. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crazy-face pictures are fun!

    ReplyDelete