Dec 11, 2010

At Work

I made this at my work the other day while showing some trainees around the plant. It's always fascinating to me, welding. It's like photography; it's working with light. And speaking of working with light, I got a new tool that I may just love. See the specs below. **Warning** it's a bit geeky down there.

Nikon D7000, 50mm f/1.4 lens, f/2.8, 1/320s, ISO1600. That's right, it's a D7000. Is it ten times better than a D700? To be determined. But, by the look of the low noise in this image at ISO 1600, the lighter weight, the fancy new control layout...the D700 may be in danger...Click on the image for a full size view, and bring your microscope to the table and examine the pixels. This image has had no noise reduction applied, and not even any exposure adjustments made in post production. I applied lens correction and a little vignette, a little crop, and that's all so that you can enjoy picking the image apart, pixel by pixel if you wish. We'll see how this bad boy does traveling tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! i cant believe the ISO is at 1600!!! what a cool camera...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This picture is the consummate realization of all things fruitful in the world of photography. I am absolutely blown away by the culmination of light and artistic prowess. When I first viewed this image I literally urinated myself, and had to run to the facilities before I defecated myself. I have not been getting results like these with my disposable camera. I have torn my images apart pixel by pixel and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Everything on the camera is automatic, so shouldn't my pictures be perfect? This camera is the best one Wal-Mart sells, so I'm kinda of at a loss as far as where to turn. David McPherson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have NO IDEA what all the camera lingo means, but it's a great photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Levi, The clarity is superb!!! The camera is amazing and so is the photographer - but I knew that!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, I understand your frustrations. When I pay $8 for a camera, plus the film processing, I really want to get my money's worth, too. I have found, however, that if I line my disposable cameras up just right in my Swarovski spotting scope, I can actually make better images than any other pro out there. Add a little light from my headlights, and I'm making high dollar images anywhere in the world. I recommend this method to you.

    ReplyDelete