Jan 26, 2010

Maestro


I meet lots of people. I met the Maestro here at the Gardener's Market in Logan last summer. We've collaborated on a few different projects (like this one, and this one, too) and it's always a pleasure to work with him. He's involved in lots of different projects, and currently teaches at a local high school. This was shot during a workshop with the Cache Valley Photographers.

I was using a very long lens capable of a 300mm focal length, which makes flattering portraits. The longer a lens, the more compressed people's features appear. This means that noses look less prominent, and proportions look better all over. I had set up one of my SB-600's in a small softbox with a grid to really focus the light while softening it at the same time. In the end, though, it's the subject himself that makes the picture worth viewing. Maestro's expression says volumes to me from the eyebrows to the irises.

Nikon D90, 70-300mm lens @ 220mm, f/5.3, 1/160s, ISO 200, SB-600 in Cheetah Stand softbox.

-SD-

No comments:

Post a Comment