Jan 15, 2010

Not-such-a-Flower Friday

Sorry, but Flower Friday is running a little late, today. In the meantime, you'll have to put up with this self portrait made on the steps of the capitol building in Little Rock, AR last week.

This image was made at nighttime, and was totally dependent on two things: tons of lights around the building, and the timer on my camera. I set the camera on the balustrade by the steps and turned on the timer--then ran for my spot. It was so dark that my camera was having trouble focusing, so it took a few tries to get myself into the focal plane. If I'd been thinking more clearly (it was cold) I would have set the timer so that it took multiple shots, as well, in order to catch the least blurry image. Now, the lights around the capitol were huge something-vapor bulbs and their color had to be accounted for using my white balance adjustments.


When you're a people picture maker, and there're no people out, you may have to lower your standards...

Nikon D90, 50mm lens, f/2.8, 1/2s, ISO 250. And hold still.

-SD-

No comments:

Post a Comment