Aug 11, 2011

Fair Weather

I love riding my scooter: it's a big one with a 400cc engine. That means it has power enough to go fast, even over mountain passes. And that's what I did on Tuesday. I drove a portion of one of the prettiest drives in this country, from Logan to Jackson via Mink Creek and Star Valley. I headed to halfway point in Montpelier in the morning to pass judgement at the Bear Lake County Fair photography contest.

Now, you may know that Bear Lake County boasts fewer than 6,000 people--even in Logan, that's only the student body of the high schools! Not a lot of folks. But you'd be mistaken if you thought that would affect the turnout for entries at the fair.

In photography alone, there were more than 250 entries! Now that's awesome. What's incredible is that they were entered by kids as young as 7 and adults well over 70! I had a blast viewing the wide range of work and chatting with the participants. I saw many truly stunning images, and the one I voted best of show really moved me. Trust me, if the beautiful drive itself weren't enough reason to spend your friday night in Montpelier, then the photography building should tip the scales for you.

Unless, of course, you're spending the evening at your local Fair. Like the Cache County fair in Logan that kicks off in full swing tonight. Rides and contests and rodeos will rule the night around here. Please eat some funnel cakes for me--I'm wheat intolerant, so I rely on your proxy in this. I'm headed over this evening, and will probably go back tomorrow, too. Heck, I made this image there last night with my photography class. Have fun, and take your camera!

Nikon D7000, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens @ 28,,. f/3.5, 1/30s, ISO 1600.

No comments:

Post a Comment