Apr 1, 2012

Always Carry Your Camera

I'm a big fan of having a camera with you all the time. You know how it is, all those times you're driving along and see a gorgeous sunset happening, or a funny scene on a street, or bank robbery and you say to yourself, "I wish I had a camera!" Fortunately, now most of us do have a camera with us all the time. My cellphone, a mere iPhone 3Gs, does a fair job. See that picture down below under "Raining, Frosting, Fogging?" I made that picture with my phone, and most newer phones are even more capable of making a decent picture. The fact is, just being able to make a picture is the important thing.

Having said that about phones, I made this picture with my D7000 while walking home from work on Friday evening. There were seven or eight turkey vultures circling high around the neighborhoods at the mouth of Logan Canyon. I supposed they had just returned from their wintering in the southern states, and were making their routes looking for places to take up residence for the season. I kept walking; they were too far away to photograph well. A moment later I noticed the moon in the sky with wispy clouds hanging about...then I looked for the vultures. I willed them to come closer and circle nearby the moon, and they did! I tried my hardest to use my brain to move a few more into the frame at the same time, but they withstood my ESP efforts. Oh, well; I'm happy with what I was given here. I used my 28-300mm lens racked out to 300mm to bring the moon and the vulture together. Unfortunately, an iPhone can't quite make this image. Good thing I had something more substantial with me!

Nikon D7000, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens @ 300mm, f/10, 1/400s, ISO 400.

2 comments: