Dec 29, 2012

Freshies on Mt. Pisgah

Fresh snow always makes me think of my backcountry ski class and my backcountry camping class in college. I think of it because the text book was not written by Allen and Mike; but it should have been. They have a wonderful way of teaching sound principles with hilarious cartoons. The opening to one of their books has the author peeking through the blinds looking at the falling snow, drool dripping from his big grins with a thought bubble that says "Freshies."

Last night I reawakened my love for outdoor adventure in fresh snow with the Cache Valley Photographers as we strapped on our snow shoes and hiked around Mt. Pisgah. We made it in time for the full moon rise, and planted our tripods in the snow. It was cold, but hiking in snow is such a workout that I was toasty...until we stopped to shoot. Totally worth the numb fingers, though. Next time I think we'll climb Babbit Shanty Hill.

Looking south to Mt. Pisgah and Orion. Nikon D800, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens @28mm, f/9, 30s, ISO 800, Nik Color Efex 4.

Looking toward Logan. Nikon D800, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens @28mm, f/16, 349s, ISO 100, Nik Color Efex 4.
North toward the Wellsvilles. Nikon D800, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens @28mm, f/8, 165s, ISO 100, Nik Color Efex 4.

11 comments:

  1. Stunning shots Levi! Wow, I might even consider getting up early to capture those kinds of views! Beautiful! ~Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Love the color. What time were these taken? After sunset?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! These are taken well into the night! The light is all from the full moon last night. Pitch black otherwise. Even Hillary can make these happen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are, at heart, emotional affairs. And, the tradition of having that first look at the bride happen as she walks down the aisle can make this question a bit more complicated.
    city hall wedding photographer

    ReplyDelete
  5. mr24b...are you spamming my blog? or have you simply placed your comment in the wrong place? It seems awefully non sequitur for this post.

    Spammers...Does this mean I've made the big time?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures are incredible! I'm going to be a complete copycat and take a group next weekend, the 26th, when there's another full moon. If you get a moment, could you tell me where in Sardine Canyon the trail starts and where you parked? It would be much appreciated!

    Brayden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brayden,
      I think you'll enjoy yourself immensely. We parked just north of the Highway Maintenance Shed at the top of the pass; there's a pullout for the road right there. We walked up the road to the crest of the ridge, and then walked north along the ridge line. Make sure to not walk where you're going to shoot! And be sure to close the fence behind you.

      What group are you taking?

      Delete
    2. I have to admit that your work is absolutely astonishing. Vibrant colors and great composition. I am sure your clients are absolutely happy.
      wedding photographer

      Delete
    3. Sweet! That sounds easy enough. Thanks for getting back to me! I was just going to take a group of my buddies up, but, unfortunately, due to this fog and inversion, we're going to put it on hold until the skies clear up a bit. Hopefully next full moon. Thanks again, can't wait!

      Delete
  7. mr24b, Thanks for the compliments...I'm also flattered that you think posting a link on my blog will up your status in SEO. A bit of advice: don't post anonymously in the future. I would gladly help promote you if done on the up and up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really nice pics, you have such a great photographer, i will be come back to your next post, Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete